At Integrity Ingredients Corporation . . .
We have an answer to the sunscreen product development dilemma
Due to an increased awareness of skin health and the harmful effects of sun exposure, consumers are becoming more aware of sunscreen protection and product use is on the rise. The skin health risks caused by sun damage has been a focal message from both the FDA and sun care product manufacturers, so consumers are inclined to use a product with a SPF factor of 30 or higher.
However, in early 2019 the Food and Drug Administration elevated concerns about consumer safety noting that sunscreen chemicals can enter the bloodstream at levels significantly higher than the allowed FDA threshold.
On February 19, 2019, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a proposed rule that would update regulatory requirements for most sunscreen products in the United States. As part of the ruling, the FDA mandated that manufacturers complete sunscreen ingredient safety studies that were due by the end of last year. According to Dr. Joy Roederer, Vice President of Research & Development at Integrity Ingredients Corporation, “until those results are made public, any harmful health effects caused by sunscreen chemicals leaching into the body are still unknown.”
According to the proposed rule, only two of the 16 active sunscreen ingredients used in US products have been recognized by the FDA to be “generally recognized as safe and effective.” A designation given by the FDA when qualified experts consider it generally safe for its intended use. The two materials are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide which are mineral versus chemical sunblocks.
There are several problems formulating with chemical sunblock ingredients:
- Chemically classified as metals, mineral sunscreen actives don’t disperse well in emulsions.
- Leave a chalkiness and whitening on the skin – including the micronized versions of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.
- Tend to feel heavy and don’t deliver an elegant after-feel.
- Absorb inefficiently and sometimes fail to completely blend into the skin.
- Provide inferior water-resistant or sweat resistant formulations.
- Have difficulty reaching the higher SPF values that consumers are seeking due to the FDA percentage level restrictions allowed for zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in formulations.
Here at Integrity Ingredients we’ve created three beautifully elegant SPF 50 sunscreen formulations with different textures and sensorial skin feel that feature:
- Excellent dispersion that results in a small and extremely uniform particle size.
- No chalky residue left on the skin and very little if any whitening effect.
- A light, elegant after-feel on the skin.
- Quick, uniform absorption.
- SPF 50 protection.
Marine-Alg Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50
A100% Zinc Broad-Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50 that provides a beautifully smooth medium weight texture and features a Marine BioActive that protects skin from UVA and UVB radiation, as well as the damaging effects of Blue Light.
Ultra-Light Skin Smoothing Fluid Sunscreen SPF 50
A broad-spectrum mineral sunscreen SPF 50 (Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide) that is an ultra-light, satiny smooth fluid that glides on the skin to protects against UVA and UVB radiation, as well as the damaging effects of Blue Light. It was specially formulated with SeaBerry Seed Oil from the Tibetan Highlands to deliver strong antioxidant protection from Vitamin E and Omegas 3, 6 and 9.
Luxe-Silk Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50
A luxurious, 100% Zinc sunscreen formula that provides superior protection against UVA and UVB radiation that is quintessentially elegant and light. The addition of both Kahai Oil and Black Currant Oil lavishly smooth the skin into hydrated perfection.
Amphiphilic Copolymer: Create elegant textures and delivers a lightweight, flowable, creamy texture that is sulfate-free for a perfect look and skin feel.
- Powerful emulsification; ideal for Clean Beauty concepts and sunscreen formulas.
- Versatile – emulsifies any oil up to a 70% load. No HLB necessary.
- Energy efficient – easy to formulate liquid polymer; cold process, low shear and water resistant.
- Innovative sensorial textures for fine mists and from fluid to bouncy formulas.
- Excellent for sensitive skin.
Shea Butter Ester: A unique, eco-designed, sustainable emollient with a low impact environmental footprint. A versatile shea-based ester innovated for leave-on or rinse-off products that features high spread ability and an excellent sensorial profile for a silky skin after-feel.
Shea Oil: A 100% clear liquid shea oil designed for clear formulations that are created to moisturize and soften the skin.
Marine BioActive: A sustainable complex that consists of Karanja Seed Oil two marine microalgae:
- A 100% natural bio marine source: Ecocert | Cosmos Approved | China Compliant
- Protects and shields the sin against UVA and UVB light radiation and the damaging effects of sun exposure and Blue Light.
- Rich in B-carotene and astaxanthin to provide strong antioxidant power.
- Strengthens the skin’s DNA repair, barrier function & defense mechanisms.
- Clinically proven to:
- Boost SPF levels up to a factor of 10-20 (in-vitro)
- Diminish UV-induced erythema and inflammatory skin reactions.
- Prevent formation of sunburn cells
- Clinically shown to reduce UV-induced redness and soothe sunburns within 30 minutes after application.
- Protects skin elastin from degradation caused by blue light exposure.
Jakabix™ NP: A paradigm shift from toxic chemical preservatives to a 100% natural, broad-spectrum preservative.
- A blend of specific active BioZymes™, Botanical Actives and Anti-Microbials.
- Antimicrobial, gram-positive, gram-negative, virus, yeast and mold resistant.
- A robust, broad-spectrum, 100% natural, preservative – does not require the addition of any other preservative systems.
- Will not degrade foam in surfactant systems or cause offensive formula odors.
- Works perfectly in emulsions.
- Odorless, clear, transparent liquid that functions at a pH range of 4 to 10.
- Safe for products designed for eyes and lip applications and all personal care product categories.
INCI Name: Bixa Orellana Leaf Extract, Jacaranda Mimosifolia Flower Extract, Kalanchoe Pinnata Leaf Extract, Deoxyribonuclease, Glucose Oxidase
Kahai™ Oil: A 100% natural, food grade, anti-aging active that is rich in Retinol, Linoleic Acid and Vitamins E and F that softens, nourishes and repairs aging skin.
- Sustainable, cold pressed, anti-aging dry oil.
- Contains 75% Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F).
- Imparts a dry, silky-smooth skin-feel with 8 anti-aging skin benefits.
- Activates skin renewal without side effects.
- Strong antioxidant and free radical scavenger.
- Clinically proven:
- Wrinkle reduction – 95%
- Hydration – 100%
- Skin firmness – 100%
- Skin smoothness – 85%
- Elasticity – 80%
INCI Name: Caryodendron Orinocense Seed Oil
IntegriLIPID Black Currant Oil: Rich in Omega 6, Gamma-linoleic acid (GLA), that is found in only a few plant species.
- GLA plays key role in physiological bodily functions.
- Helps to reduce Trans Epidermal Water Loss (TEWL).
- Helps to maintain skin elasticity.
- Helps to revitalize dry, damaged and aging skin.
INCI Name: Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Oil
SeaBerry Seed Oil: Nature’s “Miracle Berry” sourced from the pristine Tibetan plateau that contains over 190 nutrients that include fatty acids, amino acids, vitamins and minerals.
- Certified Organic | Fair Trade Farmed | ISO | Kosher | Halal | NON-GMO | HACCP | GMP
- Grown in the high elevations of Tibet, one of the harshest ecosystems in the world.
- Critical CO2 extraction process conducted in a pharmaceutical facility.
- 190 bioactive nutrients include 18 amino acids, 17 vitamins, 14 minerals and Omega 3, 6, 7 & 9.
- Contains a full Vitamin E complex, plus flavonoids, fatty acids, phospholipids and sterols.
- Anti-microbial and anti-bacterial; used to treat burns, wounds, acne and inflammation.
- Hydrates, protects the skin barrier and stimulates collagen production.
INCI Name: Hippophae Rhamnoides Seed Oil
Formula prototypes are readily available upon request as well as ingredient samples. “As a company, Integrity Ingredients Corporation has innovated numerous sustainable, ethically sourced, clean beauty ingredients and formulations. Many have been designed to delay the signs of aging, maximize skin hydration and optimize the skin’s delicate balance.
At Integrity, we have whole heartedly made a serious commitment to, and an investment in the Beauty with a Conscience Movement which has become the core of our mission. We have embraced this movement as one of our primary overarching corporate values with the sole purpose to elevate skin beauty for all consumers.”